Thursday, July 15, 2010

Not human. Or cat.

Someone sent me a long drawn out rant about how I have no humanity and they hope they never become a soulless creature like me.
I think I'm fairly human. And I think I have a soul.
I asked if I was perhaps a cat and they just told me to fuck off and die for the good of the world.

Really, I don't get that. I might not seem like the most sympathetic person in the world but its mostly because I can tell when people are full of shit. I can tell the difference between real human suffering and someone just blowing smoke out of their ass for attention and to hear "I feel for you sister!" I welcome cynicism for a reason: there is a lot of bullshit in the world. There are a lot of attention seeking emo kids, a lot of scammers, a lot of people who cry for the spotlight, people who lie, cheat, and steal to advance in life. And once you recognize these useless turds, you give them the boot. Why don't I show sympathy and love for my fellow abuse/neglect victims on SL? Because they need actual help. The escapism of SL will make you feel better in the short term only.

There are so many stories and examples I can share but this is my most recent in world encounter with such shenanigans. Some chick that was partnered to another chick I had kinda met once or twice would constantly harp on about how she has a brain tumor and doesn't know how long she has left to live. Every once in awhile she'd let slip that she doesn't actually have one. She'd go on and on about how she needs every moment of everyone's time because she doesn't know how long she has left and blahblahblah. And if you reminded her that she's admitted to saying it was fake and you have the chatlog she'd GO ON A BIG FUCKING EMO RANT ABOUT HOW MEAN AND EVIL AND WORSE THAN HITLER YOU ARE BECAUSE OMG HOW CAN YOU NOT BELIEVE HER AND WHAT SHE SAID DOESNT MATTER CUSE SHES SAYING THIS NOW and it was just a big headache.

Why do people feed into this bullshit? WHY?!?! I mean, sure you get a warm fuzzy feeling from thinking you're helping someone in need...but I'd rather help someone in actual need and not some attention seeking phony on the internet. I do go down to the grocery and buying a couple sammiches for the homeless dudes hanging around by the freeway. I listen to my friends' problems and try to help them through it. But I don't listen to the same screwed up story again and again on the internet when it clearly reeks of bullshit. There have been times where I've believed stories on SL! Its true! Why? Because they actually sounded true! It surprises me that so many people can't tell the difference between someone venting in distress and someone obviously just trying to get attention or monies. And for some reason I feel more human, and not less, for knowing this.

3 comments:

  1. The internet merely gave them all a potential wider audience. I'm so old I remember a pre-internet world and I could see them coming, I caught on fairly quickly however once the World Wide Weirdness came along. It's funny how those "in need" will adapt to the times - when I first went to live in London, people would ask if I had "any spare change", 10 years later no-one asked me that, clearly they thought they sounded like less of a waster to say, "May I have X pounds for the tube, I came to London today for a job interview and ...." Yeah right. Of course you did, just like your dad didn't have his arm tucked inside his jacket when he pretended to be war wounded. Basically, life is full of people who look for sympathy. They never matured enough to know that life is for living, not for leeching. High dependency is a unit in a hospital for very sick people, not a lifestyle choice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Noes stop it! I roolly have cancer and I'll prove it by mentioning it prominently in every single forum post I've ever made to date, as well as dedicating my cross promoted SL profile(s) entirely to the subject of my illness.

    (Visa, Amex, or spacebux accepted... Paypal coming soon!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's kinda sad if someone starts spewing stuff like that on the forums. Stuff like that is for close friends and the people who can help RL.

    ReplyDelete